Career Opportunity: Accounting Specialist – Council on Aging – Cincinnati, OH
Are you a high-energy Accounting professional looking to take your skills to the next level? Do you have a rock-solid understanding of journal entries, reconciliations and general accounting principles? Do you have the intuition to problem-solve your way to the right solution? We’ ve got the perfect opportunity for you.
Council on Aging of Southwestern Ohio (COA) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing quality of life for older adults, people with disabilities, their families and caregivers. We promote choice, independence, dignity and well-being through a range of services that help people remain in their homes for as long as possible.
Council on Aging is seeking an Accounting Specialist to perform accounting functions relating to payroll, bank reconciliations and travel expenses.
In addition, the Accounting Specialist will be responsible for:
- Preparing bank reconciliations, payroll-related journal entries and accruals within allotted time frame.
- Preparing monthly labor cost allocation.
- Administering the travel and expense reimbursements for agency employees.
- Billing, tracking and reporting for various programs within the organization.
- Monitoring spending levels for assigned programs and communicating anticipated shortages/overages to appropriate parties.
- Calculating and preparing Request for Funds when necessary and submitting for approval.
- Providing education, training and technical support, for assigned programs, to Providers and COA staff as needed.
- Working on special projects as requested and/or ad-hoc reports for assigned programs and providing back-up for other Senior Accounting Specialists as needed.
- Creating, revising and maintaining written procedures for this position’ s assigned programs.
- Acting as backup to orient and train new staff on functions, policies/procedures, practices, program changes, department changes when necessary.
- Collaborating with Accountant and Accounting Specialist staff.
- Cross-training with other accounting staff and collaborating with Administrative Assistant, Business Manager, Financial Analyst and Business Intelligence department on various projects.
The ideal candidate will have strong detail orientation and problem-solving skills. Additionally, you must have:
- Associate’ s degree; preferably a Bachelor’ s degree in accounting, business or related field.
- 2-5 years of experience or equivalent experience with journal entries and reconciliation, general ledger activities and/or grant reporting in a multi-user environment.
- Experience with accounting, grants, payroll entries, contracts and/or billing.
- Experience in a non-profit organization is preferred.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Intermediate Excel skills. Basic Word, Outlook and Access skills.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate comfortably with diverse individuals inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, as well as working independently.
- Ability to keep sensitive information confidential, such as payroll records.
If you are looking for a great career opportunity with a company who makes a difference, apply online today!
Employer is EOE/M/F/D/V. No third-party candidates please.